Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Have you been to Vancouver?


Or Dallas? Or Corvallis? I ran across some data somewhere that says most people never travel more than 50 miles from home, and I am beginning to think it might be more like 15. Aside from the occasional big trip to Seattle or Klamath Falls, I really have to pry myself to get into Portland (from Tigard!) or Beavercreek or Scappoose. And Vancouver? It's in Another State!

Well, it's really less than 20 miles, and if I want to be wowed by wonderful nurseries I could stand to extend my range a bit! Shorty's Garden & Home (10006 Mill Plain Blvd., Vancouver) was voted one of the favorite stops on the Garden Centers of America recent tour of garden centers in and around Portland. They know their stuff!

Dancing Oaks is a little over an hour and a half from Tigard and is so serene and beautiful that it's almost mystical. And that's just the location. The plants and garden art make my heart sing.

And Molalla is not on the moon for heaven's sake! Out in the Garden Nursery is definitely worth a visit, especially if you have shade in your garden. Carol, the owner, is a hoot to talk to and she has a lot of genuinely friendly animals to introduce the kids to.

The reason I mention this is because Le Tour des Plants is coming up (September 12-20) and it's a great time to explore for the new and different. No two gardens are ever alike, and the same is true of our wonderful specialty nurseries and independent garden centers. I was deeply impressed by how many beautiful things people do with plants, and how nice plant people are. Visit www.LeTourDesPlants.com for directions and head on out, even before Le Tour.

Just remember that the miles are magically cut in half when you bring a friend with you.

No comments:

Post a Comment