Monday, September 14, 2009

Fresh tomatoes, sunny weather, and a beautiful setting…what could be better?


By Whitney Rideout

On Saturday I went to an amazing tomato tasting event at Dennis' Seven Dees Nursery and Landscaping. I'm a huge tomato fan and thought I'd had them all, but with 54 types of tomatoes to try, my palette was expanded. There was no way for me to pick a favorite, but I've made a few new "friends": Aunt Ruby's German Green (like a beefsteak but with more spice), Sioux (perhaps the best tomato I've ever had for a true tomato sauce), and Pineapple (very light and rich flavor). I bought seeds for these varieties and am already looking forward to germinating them next spring.

Missed this event? Don't worry, there are many more tasting events coming up:

♦ Tomato & Melon Tasting at Nichols Garden Nursery (Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday all day)
♦ Olive Oil Tasting at Red Ridge Farms (Saturday and Sunday, 11:00 am and 1:00 pm both days)
♦ Wine tasting at Dancing Oaks (Saturday 1:00 – 4:00 pm)
♦ Apple Orchard Tour and Wine Tasting at French Prairie Gardens (Saturday from 1:00 – 5:00 and Sunday 11:00 – 4:00)

No comments:

Post a Comment