Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Phormiums as Annuals?

A few people, even in our USDA Zone 7-8, have told me they treat roses as annuals (gasp!). They buy them bare root, enjoy them for the season then yank them out and start over the following year. It took me years not to feel guilty about composting Poinsettias after the holidays, so I could hardly grasp the concept of buying a new crop of roses every year. Well, a thought occurred to me this week as I was attending an industry seminar at Bauman Farms in Gervais (www.baumanfarms.com). The greenhouse where the seminar was held was decorated with plants, including some lovely Phormiums. My three Phormiums didn’t survive the winter of 2008 and I didn’t replant any last year. So, as I’m listening to the speakers and looking at the beautiful plants in the greenhouse, a small voice in my head said, “Why not plant Phormiums as annuals?” If they survive more than one year, great! If not, they add a wonderful element to the garden while they’re there. And they are so very hard to resist!

No comments:

Post a Comment