Thursday, February 4, 2010

Your slip is showing...

I see lots of white plastic plant tags stuck in the ground and tags wrapped around the branches of trees as I look upon my garden at this time year. I plant the tags along with the plants in an effort to remember what I’ve planted and where. It’s not very attractive and does nothing to enhance the appearance of my winter garden. The plastic crumbles in a year or two or the name fades in the sun and then I’m at a total loss as to plant names. I know one person who alphabetically files all her tags in one place. I’m just not that organized. Years ago, I tried inscribing copper tags but they got bent and disappeared. I’ve heard that writing in pencil won’t fade so maybe I’ll experiment on the metal tags I found when cleaning out my garden shed. Have you had success marking you plants? Please share what’s worked for you so I can give it a try.

PS: This is one reason (of several) why I’ve never had an open garden. I couldn’t tell you the variety or name of many of the plants in my garden…and I know you’d ask!

8 comments:

  1. Well, plants were really something that you are expecting on your garden because they give a good purpose.I must say gardens were really a nice topic to discuss.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For some crazy reason the 'permanent marker' pencils don't stay on my metal tags. Odd, if I get it on my clothes when marking the tags it doesn't come out after mutliple washings, but after a winters' worth of rain, it's gone off my metal tags. Scary.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was told by a person that worked in a nursery to use a #2 pencil when labeling your plants. I only did it last year, but I can still read them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a 3-ring binder I keep with an outline of my yard. I put the tags in the 3-ring binder, marking the spot on my outline of where that plant is in the garden. (Ex:#1 on the tag, #1 on the garden map.)That way I know what is planted where and how to care for it. Hope this makes sense. It's not as difficult as it sounds and beats worrying about tags in the garden.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wrote on both sides of tag with #2 pencil. The front side faded but the back is still there so I'll re-do the front. I keep a notebook too with a planting map and plant care instructions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Paint Pens on wooden tongue depressers lasts quite a long time...Art supply or quality nurseries sell the pens..drug stores sell the sticks.
    Take snips of leaves and a flower to your local nursery to get plants identified..it's fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all for your suggestions. I'm going to try the #2 pencil on metal tags (these are now marking the peas and fava beans I planted this weekend) and the tongue depressor idea. I'm also going to try to be more disciplined about keeping plant tags in a binder. I thought I would take photos of the area where I planted them and mark the photos. That way, I'll also remember where I planted the bulbs and perennials I always forget about.

    -Ann

    ReplyDelete
  8. I use a Terra Cotta marker (available at craft stores in many colors) to write on either a smooth stone or a broken piece of terra cotta. It's a decorative way to label a plant. It's easy to see and before long I have the name memorized! Trina

    ReplyDelete