Monday, September 27, 2010

A Kid’ll Eat Ivy Too, Wouldn’t You?

By Gardennia nutii

When I hike along Oregon trails or look at many yards a little song from my childhood pops into my head:

'Mares eat oats and does eat oats and little lambs eat ivy...a kid'll eat ivy too, wouldn't you?'

If I had the digestive tract to eat ivy I'd be happy to try consuming it, but for now I'll be content removing it.

If you're not already aware, there is a big movement to remove Hedera helix (English ivy) from yards, parks and common areas. The No Ivy League is a group trying to restore the native habitat of Forest Park by removing invasive plants. English ivy is invasive and it transforms natural areas into monocultures, thus taking away habitat from native wildlife. The No Ivy League has drop-in work parties the first and third Saturdays of each month, and they are hosting a 2010 No Ivy Day on October 9.

Interested in removing English ivy? Read more about best known methods here.


No comments:

Post a Comment