EVENTSDecember 9 (Lake Oswego) and 10 (Cedar Hills), 10am-5pm - Reindeer Magic, Dennis' 7 Dees—Santa's reindeer help kick off the holiday season. Enjoy apple cider, cookies, holiday music and wine tasting from Hip Chicks Do Wine while visiting the live reindeer. Frosty will bring his pal and children can have a free picture taken with the reindeer.
December 10 - The Taste of the Holidays, Garland Nursery (Corvallis)—Sample foods perfect to share with your guests this holiday season while sipping wine and shopping for holiday décor to light up your season. Mia Sonatina wine and fudge pairing (noon-4pm, $1/taste); sample The Bag lady dips and cheeses (10am-2pm); music noon-2pm; and more.
CLASSES (unless noted, classes are free)December 10, 11, 17 & 18 at 1pm – Make Your Own Holiday Wreath, Portland Nursery (Start Street)—Take advantage of their lovely selection of greens to make a unique and eye-catching wreath for your door. Portland Nursery staff will supply the technical know-how; you bring your own special style, gloves and pruners. You'll make a 12-inch wreath with fresh greens and other decoration. Dress warmly. Cost: $25. Class is limited to 10. Register here.
• 9am-1pm – Holiday Garden Bootcamp, Rosemound Farm (Hillsboro)—Whether you are a novice to the wonderful world of horticulture or a gardening guru, Jenna Bayer's Garden Bootcamp is a fun and interactive way to help you create the garden of your dreams. Learn the basics of maintaining plant health; soil structure and chemistry; how mulch can be your best friend; design and layout; plant selection; and how to deal with pests and pathogens. The class is held at the 30-acres Rosemound Farm (13395 SW River Road, Hillsboro). Cost $140. Refreshments are served. Call 503.468.2103 or register here.
• 1pm – Wreath-Making, Bauman Farms (Gervais)—Cost $25.
• 1pm – Decorating Centerpieces & Wreaths for the Holidays, Al's Garden Center (Gresham and Woodburn)— Learn how to add ornaments, ribbons and candles to fresh cut wreaths and centerpieces to create your own unique holiday décor.
• 1pm - Festive Christmas Wreaths, The Garden Corner (Tualatin)—Floral designer Francoise Weeks will demonstrate how to create a festive Christmas wreath to display during the holidays. You will leave with a creation that is sure to deck your doors with falalala fabulous fun! Cost: $45 to cover materials. To register call 503-885-1934.
• Noon-5pm – Holiday Open House, Dennis' 7 Dees (Lake Oswego)—Cookies and hot drinks will be provided as you browse their newly decorated trees and exclusive European ornaments and décor by calling 503.636.4660.
• 1pm – Holiday Kissing Balls, Portland Nursery (Division Street)—Spice things up with kissing balls, a refreshing addition to any holiday environment. You'll create your very own kissing ball using a variety of seasonal cut floral and decorations. Cost: $20. All materials included. Please bring gloves and hand pruners if you have them. Click here to register for this class.
• 6-8pm – Tiny Gardens for Fairies, Frogs and Ferns, Garden Fever! (Portland)—Nancy Goldman has been creating tiny gardens for years. Some in shoes, some in extra cabinet drawers, most in recycled or re-purposed stuff she finds inspiring. There are many ways to express yourself as a gardener. This is a hands-on class. Cost: $30; fee includes container and materials to make a tiny garden. Registration required by calling 503.287.3200.
• 6-8pm – Create your own gift, Garden Fever! (Portland)—Some folks like to make their own gifts, some like to shop. On 15th, Garden Fever! will have workshop areas set up to guide you in creating your own holiday gift. Make a terrarium, a pot-o-greens, perfect for a hostess gift, or customize a garden poetry box.
• 10am-3pm – Holiday Classes, Bauman Farms (Gervais)—Enjoy an hour or the day getting in the holiday spirit. 10am, Bow making; 11am, Kids Cookie Decorating; 1pm, Centerpiece-making; and 3pm, cooking demonstration.
• 11am – Beginning Bonsai, Tsugawa Nursery (Woodland, Wash)—If you've been intimidated by the art of bonsai and no quite sure where to start or what to ask, this class is for you. Tsugawa's experts will show you where to begin, what plants, pots, soils and tools are needed. Register online.
• 1pm – Bonsai Group, Tsugawa Nursery (Woodland, Wash)—All skill levels welcome. Learn tips and techniques from experienced bonsai enthusiasts. Meetings are free and open to everyone interested in the art of bonsai. Register online.
• 10am-noon – Make Your Own Outdoor Bonsai, Portland Nursery (Division Street)—Learn the basics and start your own outdoor bonsai. Store manager George Bowman will walk you through plant selection, reporting, trimming and training. Cost: $30. All materials included. Please bring hand pruners if you have them. Class size is limited to 10. Click here to register for this class.
• 1pm – Terrarium Building Workshop, Portland Nursery (Division Street)—Build a one-of-a-kind terrarium with Heidi Brinnich of October Hill. The class will provide all material and instruction for a living miniature garden encased in glass. You can build your very own Fairy or Gnome garden, or little greenhouse accented with mini garden accessories, insects or birds. Cost: $40 (payable to instructor). Click here to register for this class.